Today I had to go to the savannah college of art and design art museum (say that 10 times fast!) to pick an installation to write my analysis paper about. Obviously, I had to bring the kiddos with me. The museum is downtown, so I figured we would make a little day date of it, got them dressed and headed down there.
First problem, half way downtown I realized I took Alexander's stroller out to vacuum the car. I quickly started wondering what the lesser of two evils was, driving home to get it, or carrying him through the museum. I won't lie, the thought of stopping and buying a new stroller crossed my mind because both options werent fun. I ended up settling on hauling the kid through the museum.
Next problem, parking. Dont know where to park, then accidently park in the SCAD student parking when a hipster told me I would get a ticket I put the kids back in the car to drive ten feet across the street and parallel park the highlander for the first time. This resulted in me hanging almost all the way out of the car trying not to hit the one behind me. (did I mention I stink at parallel parking?) After I parked I had to buy a parking ticket so I wouldnt get a real parking ticket. Walk all the way down to the machine with both kids, try to buy a ticket... it wont let me... needs a parking spot number.... a what? I count the cars from the beginning of the curb to my car, there were three, so I am 4? I enter 4.... yes it works, get my ticket, walk back to put it on the dash board.
Onto problem 3: where did the museum go? Walk to the building front door, pull the handle, its locked, darn..., oooh there is another door, must be one of those situations where there is 8 doors but only one is unlocked, pull the handle, darn it's locked again!, wrangling both children I look around helplessly...., another hipster appears (thank goodness for the art students today), she tells me Im currently trying to barge into the performing arts building, apparently sometime after parking my bus, I headed to the wrong building. The one I was looking for was next door. Hey, to a mom with hair in her eyes, a 9 month slapping face, and a 4 year old attracted to traffic like a magnet, the buildings start to look the same.
Problem 4 (by this point you must be thinking I made this up and I wish I did) Back to problem 4: Why is this one locked too? After walking to the RIGHT building I get to the door it's locked...what?, I look up there is a sign....entrance on side of building....what? But I just got Nicole up these 150 year old stairs... back down again. When I look towards the real entrance , it is where we got our parking ticket. *sigh* Back down the sidewalk again. By this point we have done a loop similar to a carribbean cruise. At least I see an end in sight, 20 ft from the door 10 ft...5ft...BAM!!! Nicole goes down on the cobblestone, I all but drag her into the museum crying and scraped, walk to the lady, and nicely say I need a ticket please, but inside Im thinking "GIVE ME A TICKET BEFORE I LOSE IT!"
Needless to say with the exception of a few innapropriate art installations, having to carry Alex's big butt through the whole thing, trying to keep Nicole from touching the exhibit full of designer gowns made for movie stars, and trying to look like I cared about the art by pausing for a couple of seconds in front of it, and finding a piece to write my paper on, I had fun, I really did. All the other stuff is what happens everytime I try to do something by myself so I find it humerous. At least Nicole is old enough to joke about it with me now. We have fun. There was even a moment when I walked into a room full of artsy farts looking at plastic animals with 3 piece suits and top hats, waist deep in dirt, and I asked Nicole "What do you think when you see these?" Her reply was a loud and clear "ummmm, nothing?" I couldnt have put it better myself :)
2 comments:
Oh my gosh! That is HILARIOUS! I think us Mom's could write a pretty darn good book with things like that that happen to us. So funny!
And I think Nicole's comment is perfect! She's a bright one that girl!
I sure wish we lived in the same city so I could help you out!
I laughed the WHOLE way through this. So freaking funny. I don't feel your pain, but I have empathy. You are one brave cookie.
Thanks for sharing. You're such a great writer!
Post a Comment