Sunday, October 9, 2011

And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away calling on his name. - Acts 22:16

Today was a very special day for me. This week at Savannah Christian is dedication week. The sermon was all about being baptized, the meaning of baptism, and the importance of it. I have been going to Savannah Christian for almost 4 years now, ever since Nicole was Alex's age. Chris's first deployment had special meaning for me because I started going to church by myself and first experienced the love of christ, and putting all of my trust and prayers towards him. People ask me how I deal with deployments, and the truth is that I get incredibly close to god during that time praying for chris's safety, the kid's health, and my strength (and sometimes sanity!) I can remember the first time I felt the love that true believers of christ talk about. During service one time (while Chris was gone) Cam asked everyone who had a loved one deployed to stand up. He then asked everyone around them to place a hand on them and pray. As soon as I could feel all the people behind and beside me, place their hands, the water works came. I was so overcome with emotion, I couldnt control the reaction. They still practice this now, and I still can't stop the tears because it reminds me of the moment my life changed. I promised myself and god that day, that I would never put my trust, fears, prayers, or love anywhere but god first. Best decision ever. From that moment on I knew I wanted to be officially baptized but was waiting for the right moment. Over the past 4 years I either felt like I didn't know enough about the bible, or I would have my bad days and think "well I said or did that so I must not be ready for such a big commitment", or just being shy about the absolute humility it takes to walk in front of a congregation and ask for the lord's forgiveness. I admired the teary eyed people that had the courage to walk toward the next step in the rest of their lives. There always seemed to be a new reason not to take the plunge.
Today Cam said "If you know you are ready, what are you waiting for?. Some people here are going to take the next step, and some are going to stand with a white knuckled grip on the back of the chair in front of them wishing they could" It reminded me of all the sundays I wanted to go, but my legs wouldnt let me. It really hit home and I decided today is the today. Today. The day I almost decided not to come to church because I was tired and time was ticking, the day I knew we needed to go because we hadnt really been since Alex was 2 weeks old. I walked to the front thinking "wow the lights are really bright up here" lol. I turned around to see Chris holding Alex behind me with a look like "go ahead. keep going" As soon as Cam saw me he gave me a huge smile. He has a way of making you feel like he knows you despite the massive population at this church. He gave me a hug and introduced me to one of the nicest ladies ever. She took my name, asked why I wanted to get baptized and if I wanted it today. I said absolutely. I knew I wanted Chris to come in the font with me, but he was holding Alex. As soon as I thought this the woman who was sitting next to me during service, who earlier said "dont worry honey, he's not as loud to everyone else as he is to you" when alex was fussy, came out and said " I just wanted to tell you how beautiful your baby is" "Are you getting baptized?" I said yes. Her eyes immediately lit up and like she was a relative asked if she could be there for it. She happened to be part of the church staff and held Alex and took a video of the baptism for us. I truly believe people are placed in your in your life at certain times for a reason. After that everything was a blur. Chris and I were whisked back and given clothes to wear. I met about 15 of the nicest most supportive people I've ever encountered and then I was baptized with Chris by my side the whole time. After I repeated the confession of faith, I immediately plugged my nose waiting to be dunked, and apparently the pastor wasnt done talking yet and said something to the effect of "not yet..." This got a little chuckle out of the congregation, seeing that I most def. didnt want water in my nose. After that I went under and came back up with complete forgiveness and love washing over me. Chris and I gave each other a huge hug, and I emerged happy that I took the next step in my faith. After I got dressed, (wished for a moment I hadnt worn mascara) and came out of the changing room I was greeted by our friend Emily who just happened to be at church 15 min early with her husband jared for the next service. She said she heard "this is Carly, and her husband Chris and she has come to confess her love for Christ" she said she looked up and saw me and Chris in the water and was so surprised and happy that she started bawling immediately. (thats so emily). Either way, it felt amazing that I had so many supportive people there considering our family is far away and couldnt be there with us. I still managed to have some amazing text messages from our family after I left church, prolonging my smiles.
I just want to thank Chris's mommy for buying my first real bible, taking the time to have my name pressed into it with pretty gold letters, and having so much in common with me to help me understand the feelings I had as I came into my own. I sniffed around that thing, not sure how to approach it for a while, but once I did I used it as my guide to life. I was told once that there are 3 stages to reading the bible. The shredded wheat stage; dry and hard to swallow but good for you, the oatmeal stage; easier to take in and nourishing, and the peaches and cream stage; craving the word, and loving it.
Anyway, for the rest my life anytime I think about the beginning of my journey, I think about opening that package in the mail and seeing that beautiful book. Thank you Wanita.






3 comments:

Michelle Puccinelli said...

Oh my gosh, Carly. I just cried and cried and cried when I read this. (I'm so full of waterworks now!)

You're so awesome and I'm so proud of you and happy for this amazing step in your life. What a beautiful woman of God you are and I am so blessed to call you sister! Congratulations!

carly said...

thanks michelle

Alisha Beverly said...

Wow! What an awesome post! Seriously, moved to tears! Steven read it too and he said it was 'really cool!'

We are so proud of you and standing up for what you believe in! So sad we weren't able to be there to support you. But I'm very happy they were able to take a video for you.

What a special day. You'll remember it forever!

Post a Comment